HOME/NEWS PAGE

RSS FEED «
NEWS ARCHIVE «

 

COMMUNITY

FAN ART «
FAN FICTION «
ARTICLES «
HOSTED SITES «

 

DOOM 3 INFO

FAQ «
ITEMS «
WEAPONS «
MONSTERS «
CHARACTERS «
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS «
CVARS AND COMMANDS «
WALKTHROUGH «
XBOX VERSION «
PREVIEWS «
REVIEWS «

 

DOOM 3 MEDIA

SCREENSHOTS «
VIDEOS «

 

RESURRECTION OF EVIL INFO

ITEMS «
WEAPONS «
MONSTERS «
WALKTHROUGH «
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS «

 

RESURRECTION OF EVIL MEDIA

SCREENSHOTS «
VIDEOS «

 

DOOM 3 MODDING

MOD INDEX «

 

SITE INFO

STAFF «
JOBS «
HISTORY «

 

AFFILIATE SITES

www.d3files.com

NON-DOOM SITES

Quake 4 Portal - for all your Quake needs

Half-Life Portal

OBLIVION PORTAL «
GAMERCAST «
PAUL SMTIH'S BLOG «


Welcome to the DOOM 3 Portal!
 

Make sure to check out our
FORUMS!

 
Bookmark us:
(CTRL-D)
Link to us:
DOOM 3 Portal

DOOM
The following story is a work of fiction. Apart from being based on Doom 3,
the work itself has no ties to id Software whatsoever.
No parts of the story should be used without consent.

by Nick P.

Special thanks to Tim Corwin for helping with the story and of course, Paul!


 

Introduction- Welcome to my…

 

Hell. That was the word that ran through my mind. And what better word to use? With the towering flames dancing in the background, the earth dry and cracked and glowing in an unearthly manner. Then add the thousands of people screaming in absolute terror. There was a heavy, putrid smell hanging in the air, which was hot and humid. I walked forward wearily, when something grabbed my shoulder—

            And then I realised I wasn’t in hell. I was at drill hall on Mars. This made no difference to me; my basic idea of hell was obsessively patriotic idiots smacking bags and training the proper way to shoot innocent people. But hey, that’s just me. And the hand that grabbed my shoulder was not encrusted in spikes and satanic symbols, like that of some demon, but rather the hand of Tim Davis. Staff Sargent Tim Davis, that is. Shit. At that point, I really wished the hand belonged to a demon. Then I’d have an excuse to blow him away.

            Why? Well, for starters, Tim was the biggest ass on our Martian dump. He easily fit all of the requirements above. Also, his superiority in rank to me did not ease the tension. Remember, I told myself: count to ten, focus on your breathing. Think of pleasant things.

            My mind set in a meadow with distant mountains and furry bunnies, I spun around to face the hell-spawned marine.

            “Hey Nik. Where are you heading to?” he asked me.

            I felt that I should answer with my fist rather than my mouth, but I was in a good mood today. I forced a smile that was about as real as Michael Jackson’s face. “Oh, you know, I’ve got some duties to attend to.” Then, mysteriously, I added, “Maybe a promotion.”

            The last sentence I said to piss him off, or at least to make him uncomfortable. In reality, I already knew why I was going to Commander Briggs office, and it was 2 inches short of a demotion. You see, there was a little accident a few weeks ago… Nothing spectacular, just a tiny incident concerning the setting off of fireworks in the air processing facility. Oh yeah, and there was something about accidentally hitting an ammunition storage room, too. No big deal.

            But enough about my personal toils in the wild Martian merry-go-round. You have perhaps asked yourself a thousand times, ‘what the hell is going on?’ Well, you shouldn’t ask yourself cause you don’t know. Hey, I’m the storyteller here. Anyway, it was the year 2045, and humankind landed on Mars. Yeah, exciting stuff… if you work at NASA. Humans strolling around on Mars: big deal. Frankly, I didn’t give a crap about it. They were going to milk the red planet of its nutrients, meaning that they were going to use it for mining: lots of good minerals beneath the red dust.

            Yes, it was a great human achievement, and I acknowledged it, I was proud of it. What more was I to do?

          I had entered the military. Did I want to shoot people? Did I want to keep order and peace and to protect the others? Nah. The thing is, the government pays for your college tuition if you join the military. I didn’t have enough cash to pay for myself. So I got depressed, went to a bar, and drank away the money that I did have left. So I was broke. And these days, when you’re broke, you enlist in the military.

            How I ended up a Marine remains a mystery to me. I think that it involved some drinking again, as well as a few very persuasive friends that were joining. They probably gave me the classic, ‘let’s join the Marines together’ crap. Before I knew what was going on, I was doing push-ups in the mud with the drill sergeant’s foot up my ass.

           So what does Mars have to do with all this babble about the military? Well, mining started on Mars and all was good. But then, as usual, those military idiots put their foot in and said, ‘let’s built a military base on Mars!’

            Of course, that wasn’t the only thing built on Mars. There were many buildings that I had no idea what went on inside them and they were unmarked in the directories, most owned by the UAC, Union Aerospace Corporation. They were top secret and all information regarding them was classified. I suppose it did make some sense to build buildings where dangerous secret stuff is tested away from Earth. But it was the usual military top secret, and I doubt they really did anything important in there. Probably developing machines that recycle human waste and pack it into a granola bar.

Now, why you would build a military base on Mars is an absolute mystery to me. If some war erupted on Earth, it would take all the guys in that base 6 months just to get there. Maybe they thought it was just plain cool. I thought it was stupid. Which is exactly why I got sent to the damned planet. You see, I tend to express my opinions very openly…

            As I said, Mars is 6 months away from anything interesting; no fighting, no action. Just staring out at the bleak Martian landscape, day after day, having to put up with chimpanzees such as Tim Davis and Commander Briggs.

            And speaking of Briggs, I had arrived at his office. Bright sunshine and daisies! I should’ve drank several beers; then maybe I wouldn’t have to endure what was about to ensue.

            I knocked on the door. There was an odd scraping sound and a low voice, followed by Commander Brigg’s familiar diction saying, “Just a minute.”

            I shook my head in disgust. I didn’t even want to know what the hell that was all about. Fortunately, I was spared from knowing. I guess there is someone up there who likes me.

            But down here, on the Martian surface, it was the other way around.

            “Come in,” said Briggs, and so I did.

            Briggs was what you’d expect for a Marine Commander. Old, his face haggard, his hair cut short, he was sitting at his chair, forcing a rather innocent look upon his otherwise cruel face. However, I had no time to observe this. I stood at attention, my back straight, my hand at a salute (that, or shielding my eyes from the bright lights).

            “Uh, at ease. Yes, corporal?”

            Did he not remember? Maybe I shouldn’t have come at all. Briggs is rather famous for his memory. The lack of it, I mean. But I didn’t care anymore, so I continued. “You wanted to see me, Commander?”

            He sat there for a while with a puzzled look on his face as he tried to recall why. After a long while paused, he said, “I don’t remember why I wanted you to come here, corporal. Go on, you’re free to go.”

            Feeling as if I might waltz my way out on my tiptoes in happiness, I headed for the door. Then, something with the likes as a thunderbolt hit my merriment and it all fell apart. It was Briggs’s voice:

            “Oh yes, now I remember: the whole fireworks thing.”

            Now feeling as if I was heading towards the Gallows, where a friendly guy in black clothing was preparing a snug rope just for me, I marched forward. I must have seemed intent on examining my shoes. For some reason, I didn’t feel it necessary to look up. There was a piece of gum slapped down on the front end. When did that get there?

            “Damn it, Taggart, what the hell were you thinking? You know that all air is recycled in this place. You also know that our air has a higher oxygen concentration, meaning that stuff burns… better. Your silly games burned away one-third of our entire supply! So now, our machines have to synthesise more air per hour than normal, meaning more money, meaning millions of dollars wasted away just for a few seconds of joy for you!”

            “Well, not just for me. All of my pals in the 546th squadron seemed rather pleased.” Hastily, I added, “sir.”

            Briggs continued, ignoring my defence. “And when that one firecracker—”

            “You mean the Black Flower 4500 explosive. Those are so hard to find. You should be proud, sir, that through my business dealings I came across one. And you should be proud to have witnessed its brilliant explosion—”

            “Explosion made brighter when it flew into that ammunition bunker.’

            “Well, it was very impressive.”

            Briggs was going red in the face. “We lost electrical power for four hours and 12 percent of all our ammunition. You know how much that costs, corporal?”

          “Well, I’d like to ask what all that ammo is for, anyway. All the way out here on Mars, what could attack us? Aliens? Multidimensional beings? Some unknown creatures spawned in the deep vats where that slob you feed us is made?” Ah, my imagination. I could’ve gone on in listing different absurdities that endanger us, but was cut short by the surly commander.

            “I have good news for you, Taggart.”

            “You’re gonna shove the remaining ammo up your ass?”

            Briggs trained his eyes as a weapon upon me. “You’ve got a serious attitude, corporal. I suggest you clean it up before you end up in this office again. And you should be thanking me, I’m gonna do you a favour. I’m gonna let you off the hook. Why? This military base, more than anything else, is a publicity stunt. It is here not for real military reasons, but to simply stand as testament to human achievement.”

            Or human stupidity, I thought.

            “It is here to show how mighty our military is. So, we control the flow of information, and we have managed to keep that little… accident with the fireworks quiet. I am giving you a second chance, partly so the reporters don’t get suspicious when they see you flying home. I’m sure you would spill some precious and secretive info to them.”

            “Oh?” I said testily. “Secretive info like that person trying to keep quiet in the closet?”

            This certainly caught the commander off guard. He wavered, and an odd expression crossed his face. “Leave,” he growled menacingly.

            I shrugged. “Ok.”

“One more thing, Taggart. I still want you to understand the graveness of the damage you have inflicted. You’re gonna clean the cafeteria alone, after breakfast, lunch, and dinner, for the next four years. Failure to comply by this will result in you being sent into solitary confinement. Good night!”

            With a newfound feeling for the military burning in my heart, I left the office.

What had the military done to me? I used to be civilised and well read. I used to be able to point out all of the faults in the late 20th century physicist Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity, and be able to discuss all of the fine points of every single epic, whether it be Nordic or Greek. I used to be able to list all the Russian Tsars, Japanese emperors, and English kings in chronological order. I used to play sports, and do all kinds of stuff. My skill at playing the trombone has yet to be matched by some prodigy from Julliard, and don’t even get me started on my original paintings in Abstract expressionism (see, most people throw paint at the canvas. So I thought, why not throw canvases at the paint?).

            And then I joined the military. My IQ must’ve dropped 20 points and a nickel. Now the only historical figures I knew were Benito Mussoulini, Michael Jackson, and some poet named Puff Daddy. My vocabulary must’ve fallen to less than 1000 words. No longer could I savour the 5-star gourmet dishes I used to prepare, no longer would I woo women with my ability to make 20 minute brownies in just 10. As if that wasn’t bad enough, now I had to scrub floors and tables clean from the spilled glob that was tentatively called ‘meatloaf’.

            And thank god I hadn’t gone with my earlier plan to fire ten Black Flower 4500s in the fuel storage facility.

            Perhaps you want to know a little more about the base. It was fairly large, sprawled over a 4-kilometre radius, though most of it lay underground. The power generators lay in the centre, alongside the air synthesising machines that we sent to Mars long before we ever rubbed our fungi-harbouring feet against the red dust. To the south was a rather Spartan looking complex which was our home abode. It doesn’t look cosy, and that’s because it isn’t. There were some research facilities to the west of us. They were said to reach far underground, as much as 10 kilometres, if not more. But on the surface, they were rather unimpressive black, windowless buildings looking gloomier than our own facility.

            There was some civilian housing on the other side of the generators, along with a greenhouse. And to the west of that was the mining complex. They had an airlock among other things, but most of it was tunnels below ground. And from all of these buildings, belowground corridors led to the airfield, which was cast a distance away from our outpost.

            I had one good friend in the Martian base: Tyler. I didn’t bother with his last name because it had way too many letters and way too little syllables. And then there was this other Chinese kid that always followed us around. I think his name is Zhao, or something like that. We simply call him Mexican guy because, well, because it’s funny. This annoys him, but he still laughs with us about it. Anyway, he was there too. He is always there, whether it is for better or for worse.

            I tried to lift my mood, though I still felt as if I should let my fist do the talking. “Hey Tyler,” I said. “Hi Mexican guy.”

“I’m not Mexican!” Zhao replied in thick English, in his usual annoyed tone.

“Yeah, yeah.” Said Tyler absentmindedly as he turned to me. “Well, what happened?” he asked. “If you didn’t get punished, I have four more Black Flowers under my bed. We could set them off tonight.”

            I sighed. “I fear not. I won’t be able to attend. Feel free to fire them yourself, though. Then maybe you can join me in scrubbing the cafeteria floor.”

            We began to walk away.

            “So that’s your punishment?”

            “Yeah,” I said lowly.

            “Look on the bright side: janitors always get the women. Then again, we barely have any ladies in this dump.” He glanced up at the ceiling and down at the walls and floor in disgust.

            In reality, there were several women Marines on our base. However, they were not to be messed with. They were like the Sirens of Greek mythology, luring unsuspecting guys. Many men approach them and then walk away with broken noses. I think there was one case where it wasn’t a nose, but an arm. As I said, not to be messed with.

            One time, a drunk Tyler, beer at hand, seemed inclined to joke around with one of our feminine Marines during their shooting practice. Certainly not the best time or place to do so. Next thing he knew, the can popped out of his hand and beer went splashing everywhere. I don’t think he ever cracked another joke about her accuracy.

            I sighed, “Hey Pedro,” I turned to Mexican guy. “I’m feeling a little depressed.  How about some Tequila to drown my sorrows? And then maybe some burritos. I’m hungry.”

            “I’m not Mexican.”

            “Yeah, yeah.”

 

It was dinner, and the three of us had secured a nice round table, away from the others, near one of the large panoramic windows. It was dark outside, so there was nothing to be seen. Mexican guy came around, carrying our food and set it in front of us. Now, I think I have already described the food here several times, so further elaboration is not needed. Tonight it was supposed to be ravioli, though the brown mass strongly reminded me of the meatloaf. Whatever. The nutrient rich, vitamin enhanced glob was still edible.

            We ate in silence for a little bit. I moved my fork through the ‘ravioli’ and smirked at the wet, sloppy sound it made. Adding some hot sauce sent by my friends and family on Earth did not do much good. “I can’t take this any longer,” I finally said.

            “Join the club. Mexican guy and I here are the presidents.”

            “I’m not Mexican.”

            “Well,” I said thoughtfully. “We can resign. But I don’t think Briggs will be real happy. He doesn’t want anyone leaving the squadron, and I think he wants to keep this up until we are liable for Social Security aid, if you know what I mean.”

            Tyler shrugged. “There are other ways to leave this rock. You could get court martialed, if you really, really tried. I guess those fireworks weren’t enough. But if you do something stupid enough, Briggs will be forced to fly back to Earth.”

            “Well, what would you do if you got to go back to Earth, Tyler?”

            Talk about a primeval conversation!

            He looked at the ceiling dreamily. “I’d live big, live exciting. I’m tired of this boring… place. You know, scale some mountain, throw all these big parties, flush the money away like Zhao here after four burritos and a can of lax.” Mexican guy seemed offended, but Tyler continued onward. “Maybe buy me a nice little aircar, drive around on weekends. Something expensive, maybe Italian. What about you?”

            I shrugged. “I dunno. It’s a little late to have the military pay for my college education, isn’t it? How many years have I wasted away here? I think I’d get on to the life I wanted before I joined the Marines. And what about you Mexican guy? Wait, you’ll stuff yourself with tacos, right?”

            “I’m not Mexican, I’m Chinese!!!

            “Yeah, and I’m Hindu.”

            The cafeteria was beginning to empty, meaning that dinner was over. And it was now that I would proudly serve the Marines, mop and bucket at hand, sweeping broadly across the floor. “You guys go on,” I said. “I’ve gotta clean the floor, remember?”

            And so they left.

            Where to get the mop? I realised that Briggs hadn’t specified anything. Oh well, I thought. I’ll just go on. Maybe Briggs already forgot. But then, upon exiting the room, I noticed a neat little mop and bucket propped against the wall. With a groan followed by some words I don’t feel like repeating here, I picked up the mop and began to sweep.

            Now, you really don’t notice how big a room is until you are the one who actually has to clean it. The floor stretched out before me, and all of the filth on it seemed to jump out.

            I sighed, but tried to lift my spirits, singing ‘Straight Through the Heart’ as I moved about the floor. I had just reached the solo of the song, wielding the broom as a guitar, when the lights went out.

            At first I thought this was the doing of some joker. Marines were playful types, and I thought that some guy thought it was funny to turn out the lights on me. What a dry sense of humour.

            Hoping to get back at the culprit, I vividly described where and how far I was gonna stick the broom when I found him, when I walked out and realised something. It wasn’t just the cafeteria where the lights had gone away; it was the entire building, if not the entire human outpost on the planet.

            Well, ok. This has happened before, power outages, though not common, do happen. This was usually when some maintenance was taking place in the power generators. Still, daytime was the time to do things of this sort.

            Feeling a little uneasy as to this unusual occurrence, I dashed back the large panoramic window.

            Now, I’ll tell you: I’m not the panicky type. I don’t clutch my face and scream when I can’t find my uniform nor do I put my head down and sob when I am called to Briggs’ office. The only reason I felt such worry was because I had been on Mars for god knows how long and I hadn’t seen any action. The most excitement in my day comes when I go to the bathroom and read up the latest magazines. That, and the whole fireworks thing.

            I glanced out the window. Normally, off to one side you’d be able to see parts of the warehouse depot. However, the lights were off there too. This only added to my worrisome streak. We had separate power generators, and the technicians would never shut both off at the same time.

            The only light was starlight, seeping through the windows.

            At that point I thought it best to haul ass and find the others. Only then did the feeling of aloneness strike through me, and I knew I had to leave the abandoned mess hall. In my hurry, I tripped over a table and did a somersault in the air worthy of an Olympic silver medal. My landing, however, was not as graceful. A loud crack announced that I had broken something. Hopefully it wasn’t a leg.

            I continued onward, more wearily, limping. But then something stopped me cold in my tracks, and it wasn’t the warm blood that oozed from my busted eyebrow. It was a human scream, and it came from beyond the hall.

PREVIOUS PAGE DOOM INDEX NEXT PAGE


All content and images are copyright © DOOM 3 Portal / DOOM III Portal 2002-2005
or their respective owners, and cannot be reproduced without prior consent.